Monday, October 4, 2010

Lola turns ONE....and I survive my first blunder!!

My boyfriend Jimmy, his niece Lola turned the big 1 this September and I was asked by Heidi & Josh (the 'rents) to create her 1st birthday cake. It was my first, 1st Birthday cake and I was a little excited. They wanted a vanilla pound cake with strawberry buttercream frosting and a 2D picture of her from the back, dancing. So I go about making the cake ahead of time and don't ya know, me in all my infinite wisdom ended up making a chocolate cake instead of the vanilla one they ordered. I know, I know, why didn't I look at my notes before hand, why didn't I double check?? Who knows, why I didn't check! So here it is 2 days before it's due and I have baked the wrong flavor cake. I was pretty much up a particular creek with about a paddle, if you will...Oh now if you know me, this is a typical situation that I tend to get myself into quite often. Now I have to bake the cake, decorate it and prepare it for transport all the day before it's due, so that leaves me with 1 day to do all of this. Now did I mention that I have to work that day too? I started a new job and I'm still in training, and had already switched my schedule around to have the day of the party off, so I was unable to get out of work. Looking back on it all, it was pretty much a caffeine induced blur. I remember getting pink frosting everywhere and having my hands stained HOT PINK for several days, but I don't remember how long it took me or why I forgot to take pictures of it. I do remember getting a message that everyone loved the cake and I was sadly missed because of a previous commitment. I did manage to get a picture of the cake after Lola got her piece. Which I know she enjoyed, after seeing pictures from the party!!



Oh and Josh, Heidi, I truly am sorry for her HOT PINK hands too!

No comments:

Post a Comment